From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 22:15:08 -0500
ries on National Public Radio the past few
days on SIDS?  As usual, there has been no mention of breastfeeding when
discussing possible risk factors.  I've searced the NPR web site and some
others on SIDS: no mention of breastfeeding being in any way beneficial.  In
fact the only mention of breastfeeding is an article of possible DANGERS to
babies thru breastmilk if the mother smokes.
What is it?  Am I dilusional that breastfeeding reduces the risk of SIDS????
         I have a copy of  the New Zealand study and lack of breastfeeding
was clearly stated as a risk factor.  Why are no other public sources of
information mentioning this??????  Is the evidence that weak or
nonexistant????????  Why is this publically ignored???  How can I say in my
classes that breastfeeding reduces the risk of SIDS when NONE of these public
proclamations about SIDS even mention it???????????

Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA