From:
Pascoes in Dubai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 08:33:41 +0400
The fuller my bag of tricks becomes the more I am struggling with how to
present these suggestions to mums without making them feel overwhelmed
with information. Many new mums complain about how "complex"
breastfeeding is and how much there is to know. As much as I try to
liken it to when they were pregnant and the steep learning curve they
faced, with information saturation about tests, development, birthing
options, diet etc I am really struggling to make sure that I present
breastfeeding options in a way that is simple to understand and follow
through with. I think we can risk saturating or alienating the mother
when we use phrases like nipple confusion, preference, anything, as
professional lingo instead of adopting simple explanations and metaphors
that are culturally appropriate. Sticking a bottle in a mouth is easy,
especially for a tired mum. Learning about breastfeeding management
should be easy, it should be culturally ingrained, it should happen with
time and calmness and support from everybody but now that this isn't the
usual scenario I find myself needing to be aware that I aren't
presenting breastfeeding as difficult and needing endless fine tuning. I
know there are complex cases that require solid intervention but
essentially for most people the 3 sucklings should pretty much cover it
all. In my previous life I was a pianist and the goal was to overcome
the difficulties and complexities of a piece to present a performance
that appeared effortless. For me, this seems to hold true with
breastfeeding.   There will always be a learning curve but I see a lot
of people who don't feel very confident and seem to breastfeed with
their brain more than their breasts. But then is that fine tuning all
about developing a relationship with the baby and part of the bonding
experience? Maybe it is just that mums don't have many people to talk to
about their breastfeeding anymore?   Thinking aloud this morning.

Meg Kingsley, Dubai UAE