From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:15:43 -0400
I agree that we need to meet mothers where we are.

I think, though, that sometimes we make assumptions about where mothers
might be before we really know. If we demonstrate to a group of new or
expectant mothers ways to breastfeed discreetly and cover up, then I think
we are suggesting that "covering up" while breastfeeding is the normal,
expected way to handling feeding in public. If, on the other hand, those of
us who are comfortable with breastfeeding in public do so casually and not
covered up, it helps to get across the message that breastfeeding isn't
something that needs to be hidden. That doesn't mean you don't help an
individual mother who has concerns about being discreet enough to figure out
ways to breastfeed that help her feel comfortable. And maybe seeing enough
mothers breastfeeding casually and uncovered will increase her comfort with
the whole idea.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario