From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:48:09 +0200
While it may not be necessary to sterilize an SNS between each use in the
NICU if what is being fed is fresh, unpasteurized expressed breastmilk, in
cases where they are used to feed formula or pasteurized breastmilk I would
think they need to be scrupulously cleaned between each use or they are no
better than feeding bottles.
If there are babies getting gavage feedings in these units there are sure to
be procedures in place about how long one tube may be used and whether they
can be cleaned and re-used.  The procedures may differ depending on whether
the baby is fed on mother's milk or not.  Could these procedures not be
applied for the tubing on an SNS as well?
We use feeding tubes at the breast from time to time, and we don't use the
same tubes for breastmilk and formula, and we change tubes at least daily.
Commercial supplementers for use at the breast are too expensive for my
hospital.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway