From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:31:06 -0600
I don't have the ad in front of me, as it is at the photo shop being made
into a slide, but from one of the February 1999 parenting magazines (either
"Parenting" or "Parents" or perhaps both) -- comes an ad from Gerber food
starring "Dr. Quinn" (TV actress).  The basic message is that some babies
are started on "table foods" too early, when they should still be getting
commercial baby mush, and that leads them to be deficient in zinc, and
several other minerals or vitamins.  The tag line is "Shouldn't your baby
STILL be a Gerber baby."  I think they recommend commercial baby food until
18 months.  They list "table foods" as including pasta and French fries.
As though no one in the US eats meats (ha) or vegetables or fruits.  Trying
to increase their market share and re-convinvce everyone that babies need
specially prepared, commercial baby foods, instead of just eating what the
family eats!

-------
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.                         email:
Anthropology Department                               phone: (409) 845-5256
Texas A&M University                                    fax: (409) 845-4070
College Station, TX  77843-4352
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/dettwyler.html