Date:
Tue, 4 May 2010 10:10:27 EDT
Ayelet writes:

"They stayed a little too cheery for comfort. I now
feel responsible for  this little baby and can't ignore what I know....
In my prenantal class I dedicate a whole portion to "How to know the baby
is
getting enough". Weight gain, red flags etc. How could this have  happened?
How could I have made it more clear?"

~~~
I bet you made it abundantly clear. Since I fell behind on LN I got to read
 the many supportive emails on this post-line. Referring back to the ped is
often  the hardest part ( in our area anyway) because the problem
originates there for many families. Although once in a while I see a baby  failing
despite the pediatrician identifying an issues it's more  often not this
way.  The problem is, many parents go to their pediatrician,  and at multiple
visits hear things like: ( these are examples from recent moms  in the last
week I've seen, many from ONE poor mom...)
: some babies get off to a slow start
: he's fine, just keep trying
: and I quote: "you are not a human pacifier, do not feed your baby more
than every 3 hours" ( from an "LC" the pedi recommended who is not an LC but
a  midwife and doula)
: it's great your baby is sleeping 6 hours straight already ( in a baby who
 gained 2 oz in 2 weeks between weeks 2 and 4 and cried every minute he
wasn't  shut down)
: And I quote" You cannot always make your baby happy, you know, babies
cry"

One baby was born at 36 weeks and mom was given no information that this
might have an impact, one baby had a very obvious tongue tie when he cried
and  almost no tongue extension,elevation or power when trying to feed, you
get  the picture. In an effort not to set off "perfection-seeking" parents,
some  practices actively discourage just about any concern a mom has about her
crying,  slow or no gaining baby.

I feel your pain, is all I can say. Some of these parents have no other
source of info as "strong" as the voice of the MD, no matter what. Most  when
they meet with me, get pretty angry, or start blaming themselves for not
listening to their instincts. I praise them for knowing something needed to
be addressed, and for keeping their babies healthy despite misinformation of
this kind. The cognitive dissonance has got to be painful. I really feel
for them.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL