From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 20:56:54 EST
Erin, I have worked with many women who have breastfeed and had silicone
breast implants.  The Levine and Ilowite study has not been replicated  and the
studies since have not found silicone implants a problem for  infants.  We are
all consuming silicone in out diets all the time and this  includes infants.
I looked up silicone implants in an older version of Hale (that's what I
have at home) and he stated that in the study posted below there  are higher
levels of silicone in cow's milk and formula than in tested breast  milk of women
who had silicone implants.  He went on to say one  article published showing
esophageal strictures, it has subsequently been  recalled by the author.
What is more important about affects of implants and breastfeeding is not
the implants themselves or the surgery but why the mother had it done.   This is
an important question to ask.  A mother who has implants to correct  extreme
disproportion of the breast could be a hint of breastfeeding  problems.

Reference:
Sempl JL, Lugowski SJ, Baines CJ, Smith DC, McHugh A; Breastmilk
contamination and silicone implants:  Preliminary results using silicone as  a proxy
measurement for Silicone. Plast Reconstr Surg. 102(2): 528-33,  1988.