From:
MKSmithCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 20:07:20 EDT
I think it is important for us to discuss support groups within the context of
our work setting and scope of practice. However, let's not get into the "ABC's
of breastfeeding" like we do at Meeting one. I would enjoy hearing however,
how others structure the groups they facilitate i.e how are moms invited, etc?
When I worked at one hospital in suburban Chicago, we had the BEST support
group. Moms were invited and informed by a sheet in their discharge packet,
when we talked on the phone, it was mentioned in classes.... When it was my
turn to run the meeting, I just asked people to introduce themselves and their
babies and to share their concern or question of the day. Many times that
helped the discussion take form. Other times we actually had "topics" if all
the babies were the same age or if moms all had similar problems. We had
weekly meetings and it turned into a real social event for some. We even had
to break into two groups; babies under six months and over six months. If
anyone would like to privately discuss this topic, e-mail me at
I hope to begin a group at our hospital/WIC clinic later this year.
Mary Kay Smith, CLE, IBCLC
Romeoville, IL 60446