From:
Marilee Woodworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 12:12:40 -0500
I am enjoying the birth stories. I hope you can take another.  My first birth
took place in a hospital and THE Dr. Bradley was my doctor, although it was
his partner who was on call for my birth.  This was probably as natural as
one could get in a hospital in 1973. I had  my waters broken and demerol and
an episiotomy. It wasn't a horror story but I knew then that I never wanted
to birth in a hospital again. I had given over control to the authority
figures and I knew I wasn't strong enough nor did I want to have to fight
during labor to have the birth I wanted. In answer to all of my friends and
relatives and others who asked the question. "Yes I feel safer at home."
My next birth 2 years later was at home without professional help. My husband
and I studied and did it ourselves. It was my most spiritual and pain free
birth and the best part was reaching down and holding my baby, putting her to
breast and never letting go.
For my third and last birth, I knew too much to have so much faith and we had
a wonderful lay midwife. It was my fastest and most intense birth. I do
describe it as painful, but not unbearable. And afterwards I felt so
incredibly good about myself.
For me birthing at home was wonderful and empowering. I know it is not for
every woman. I think it is very sad that so many women have such an
adversarial relationship with their own bodies.
So many of the breastfeeding problems I see in my practise are the result of
hospital routines. What can we say to these moms who feel they had no choice
about their birth experience? I'm always more comfortable when they are angry
about what happened to them than if they feel their bodies failed them?
Thankyou for being there Lactnetters.
Marilee Woodworth, IBCLC, LLLL, Ann Arbor, MI