From:
Roni Chastain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 19:53:52 EDT

<<
 While I know many licensed medical professionals who have made the effort
 to go the extra distance to educate themselves, including many on
 Lactnet, as well as many who are childbirth instructors,teachers, peer
 counselors, homeopathic and herbal practioners, and many others, it
 is the IBCLC credential that guarantees at least a minimum amount of
 knowledge, and commitment to breastfeeding.

I am sorry, but this really got my hairs standing on end. As an RN and a
childbirth educator for the past 27years, I feel that I have much more than
the *minimum* amount of knowledge and commitment to breastfeeding. I work with
bf mothers on a daily basis as a visiting nurse in a maternal and childhealth
program. I know for a fact that if it wasn't for my visits, some of the moms I
see would not now be exclusively breastfeeding. I thought about taking the
exam to be certified when it was first being offered and decided against it
for various reasons. While I don't think I know it *all*, and I continue to
learn daily, especially with the connection to lactnet, I still consider
myself an *expert* and very passionate about breastfeeding.  I did research
and wrote an article on Breastfeeding and HIV for the Journal of Childbirth
Educators.
I think comments like those above are very shortsighted and are insulting to
those of us who are committed to breastfeeding even without the initials.
Roni M Chastain, RN, LCCE, FACCE
Glen Cove, New York