Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2011 23:03:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Marie asks:

< I'm wondering if a "lactation (nutrition) risk screening" tool exists based on research? 

My hospital is getting a new electronic documentation system called EPIC which is more strictly based on evidence. Presently, our nursing staff have a list that directs them to refer certain babies to the lactation consultants. The list includes: late premature baby, low birth weight, muliples, no latch by 12 hours of age, etc. 

I certainly know which babies are more at risk from my work experience but has anyone actually studied this?>

Can't answer that, Marie. But my reaction is that such a tool to be most useful needs to be a dual tool, including the mother's lactation risk factors too. To name a few: inverted nipples, insufficient glandular tissue, intrapartum overhydration . . . all right . . . . . . that is one of my own strong impressions, and that's for sure not adequately researched yet;-) But I think it's very relevant in the first 10-14 days for all babies, with or without specific infant risks

These kinds of maternal lactation risks cannot all be 'solved' with a pump. Granted, that may be one important aspect of the plan, if used judiciously, with an accurate understanding of the physics of vacuum. But mom's own milk certainly cannot benefit baby unless we can help mom facilitate early and adequate production and prompt, effective removal. So I think moms with risks, even if their baby has no special risks, need to be referred to a kactation consultant.

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC, Dayton OH

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC, Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2