Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 22:52:01 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Can I have a tiny little brag, lightbulb, ah-ha moment? :) As I've said before, I'm new to the LC side of life, and have so much to learn. I've been quickly thrown into so many growth and stretching moments in the last two weeks alone. I will know a client is coming in with a particular issue, and I'll use the night before to research and write handouts. My paperwork is quickly growing! 

So I've been working with a little guy (PTP) who was allowed to go a very long time (like 19+ days) with significant loss and no recovery weight gain after birth. He was lethargic at the breast, seemed to have a decent latch, but fell asleep quickly. He nursed for VERY long periods at a time (up to an hour) and would then act hungry twenty minutes later. He stopped having bowel movements, tho he was having Plenty of wet diapers. He slept for very short periods at a time, too. 

So I started working with increasing her supply, and in a couple of days, recommended supplementing. A breast milk donor immediately stepped up, which was huge, and they've been giving him a mixture of EBM and formula (not enough EBM for every feed). They're doing a fantastic job with paced bottle feeding, and still put him on the breast often. Of course he started having bowel movements again. Today they came for a visit with the osteopath and he felt like he really helped the baby. His weight was also up to the equivalent of a 2oz gain a day! 

I noticed when he was nursing this time that he was still not flanging his upper lip out, and as hard as I tried, I couldn't make it happen. I had been studying about lip and tongue ties so I inspected his lip. There it was, clear as day.  I will admit I was quite pleased to identify it, and we gave them resources to find someone to release it. 

I don't know near what I hope to with time, but I know a little more today than I did yesterday! It's fun. :)

Jennifer Stewart, IBCLC
California, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2