From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:17:05 -0500
Bracha,
I feel your pain and have been in several similar situations.
There are several things you could do in this situation. The first thing is
I would not accept someone yelling at me. I would ask for a meeting with a
manager or supervisor of some authority and demand that this behavior stop.
I would have any hospital policy or patient bill of rights with me that says
patients are entitled to all info and alternatives. I would have the tongue
tie articles and any peds groups statements or articles stating that
frenotomy is an option. In the USA we have the American Academy of
Pediatrics.
If you have a La Leche League or similar mother to mother group you could
refer to them and maybe the leader could be the person who tells the mom
about tongue tie. You have to respect confidentiality, but you could say
"Mrs. Jones I would like you to get further help from LLL, may I call the
leader and let her know you are having problems and that you can come to the
meeting on Oct 30?" something like that.
If parents have internet access, you could give a few websites and maybe
circle one with tongue tie info, saying this would be a good one to check
out, and then the parents will find it themselves.
This tongue tie issue is a problem in many settings. I rarely am successful
getting a doctor to consider that the tongue tie is a problem for bf. I
generally am very careful about how I present this issue to the parents and
doctors, too.
Possibly a pediatric dentist, if they are available in Israel, could be
referred to. Saying to the mother, "often a pediatric dentist can look at
the mouth and tongue and see if that is causing you a problem."
I've worked hospital and private practice. I have a better and more
steady income, and can help more moms in hospital, and earlier. But I had
much more freedom to say and recommend what I thought, and alot less
barriers in private practice.
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
MISSISSIPPI USA