From:
Robert Cordes DO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:15:09 -0400
I got a call this AM from a mom of a patient. The call was about her
relative who is visiting in town. This mom has one sided generalized breast
pain.
She is 31, healthy and successfully nursing her second child who is one
month old.
She says the pain begins about 45 minutes after a feed and is "inside" the
breast, denies surface pain, denies burning. No mastitis S/S.
Baby feeds well. The baby usually empties her breast but sometimes she pumps
after a feed to completely empty.
The pain as said begins about 45 minutes after a feed and is relieved
quickly by the baby feeding again. I didn't get the interval between feds,
this is all second hand.
Mom called a LLLL who was on call who thought this might by muscular or
nerve and asked about heavy lifting which mom denies.
My thought was the baby isn't completely emptying mom who fills and begins
to get engorged. My advice was to feed frequently, watch technique and if
the baby doesn't empty her to pump or hand express to empty and try cool
cabbage leaves in the bra for about 30 minutes after the feedings.
Any other ideas?
-Rob

Rob Cordes, DO, FAAP, FACOP
general pediatrician