From:
Heather Shelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:52:08 -0600
When I was in Bali, Indonesia Nov 2006 the main reason that I noticed for
formula usage, was in fact the hospitals. They separated mom and baby for
many hours, had scheduled feeding times and visit times for a baby to visit
it's mother.

To top it all off if a family couldn't pay the hospital bill the baby was
held by the hospital until the parents could pay the bill. Sometimes this
could be a week or well longer, the whole time baby was being fed by the
nurses.

I worked at Bumi Sehat for that month which is extremely breastfeeding
friendly (in fact there is no formula on the premises), but if we had to
transfer, then who knew what would, or could happen.

One transport was about an hour after the birth, we had the mother leave the
baby with us to prevent the hospital from holding the baby until the bill
was paid, and  seeing as mom had nursed the baby until we transported, we
had a few hours while we waited for her family to arrive to take the baby to
her lactating sister to care for.

Heather Shelley CD, LCCE

Midwifery Student MCU

www.birthingyourway.com

Utah, USA

Read this great article from Mercy Corps in Indonesia on their =
breastfeeding support program. Why not email them and let them know how =
great you think it is.

http://www.mercycorps.org/countries/indonesia/2120

The Dr quoted was at the emergencies meeting I participated in in Bali =
last month. It's worth encouraging him/her (not sure on gender).

Would this be the sort of work that some of you would like to support = with
donations? If so why not ask whether it's possible to donate = directly to
support breastfeeding mothers. Moving encouraging = breastfeeding and
disuading mothers from using infant formula onto the = agenda for  aid
agencies is really important.

Karleen Gribble

Australia