From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 22:25:45 -0600
Here is my opinion: I would think that if these LVNs are working as
"IBCLCs" they will need to do care plans and assessments for the
breastfeeding. IBCLC certification is above LVN certification as they
are specialized in breastfeeding on a professional level. If they will
be seeing only inpatient mothers, the care plan can be more verbal but
they will need to write in the patient chart what they did and what
assessment they made. This is how communication is made to the physician
and other nursing staff. Don't most inpatient hospital IBCLCs give the
mother verbal care plans rather than written? If these LVNs are doing
outpatient lactation consults, the standard of care is written care
plans so the mother takes home a copy. She will also be doing an HCP
report which will show her assessment and her care plan as a
communication tool to the HCP or clinic. This might be something to ask
IBLCE. But I do know of LVNs that are practicing IBCLCs both in private
practice and as hospital staff for inpatient here in Texas.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC