From:
Vicky York <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 11:26:55 -0700
Cindy your article was so timely. I copied (so glad you gave permission) and
attached it to a letter I sent to a woman's boss. She is single, asian with
no green card, and nursing exclusively and having to go to work; the infant
is 3 months. She finally found an employer who will give her work as a food
server but he pays her 4.75 per hour. He says because of the nature of the
work, she can't pump her breasts, there is only time for 2 one-minute potty
breaks in the 6 hour shift. I have been working with her as a LC and a
friend for 3 months and she is doing beautifully, never waivering in the
face of many of her asian friends telling her to just feed the baby formula
as this boss is also saying. Your article was a great one to send him. My
letter is diplomatic and coddling, but if he doesn't cooperate, my second
one won't be. He has a pretty successful restaurant and i think a lot of
people would be surprised to hear of his treatment of his employees. Hoping
he has a soft place somewhere in his heart for kids and just wasn't thinking
when he said no to her request.
Vicky York, IBCLC, CPD (CAPPA)
Postpartum Care Services
Portland, OR