From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:13:39 -0600
Totally agree w Karleen's sage advise.

The oldest child I've seen go to breast was 3.5 years.  As Karleen suggests, a huge factor is the toddler's exposure to other nursing children.  Hopefully this mother is close to mother support meetings or attachment parenting groups, or maybe local mothering blogs / facebook / meetup groups would lead to contacts, who knows, any mothering event could produce new circles of support.  I would look for nursing toddlers close to this child's age -- all it takes is one, but more would be wonderful.  Then set up play dates -- the more often the child sees another child enjoying breastfeeding the better.  Pictures & videos are the next best thing (youtube can be a friend) but in person exposure is well worth the effort.

She's got the milk.  Gently removing any pacifiers / bottles while introducing opportunities (ie shared baths & naps) & inspiration (new toddler nursing friends) can all be nudges in the right direction.  Watch child's reaction carefully to be sure mom stays on path.  Nurture a patient and relaxed attitude.  Anything a mother might do to woo a child out of a nursing strike is worthy of consideration.  Small steps -- latch is last!

I hope you will keep us updated.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC, RLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Sent from my iPad