Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:13:39 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (49 lines)
Totally agree w Karleen's sage advise.

The oldest child I've seen go to breast was 3.5 years.  As Karleen suggests, a huge factor is the toddler's exposure to other nursing children.  Hopefully this mother is close to mother support meetings or attachment parenting groups, or maybe local mothering blogs / facebook / meetup groups would lead to contacts, who knows, any mothering event could produce new circles of support.  I would look for nursing toddlers close to this child's age -- all it takes is one, but more would be wonderful.  Then set up play dates -- the more often the child sees another child enjoying breastfeeding the better.  Pictures & videos are the next best thing (youtube can be a friend) but in person exposure is well worth the effort. 

She's got the milk.  Gently removing any pacifiers / bottles while introducing opportunities (ie shared baths & naps) & inspiration (new toddler nursing friends) can all be nudges in the right direction.  Watch child's reaction carefully to be sure mom stays on path.  Nurture a patient and relaxed attitude.  Anything a mother might do to woo a child out of a nursing strike is worthy of consideration.  Small steps -- latch is last!

I hope you will keep us updated.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC, RLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 16, 2013, at 11:24 PM, Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Leilani,
> I would encourage this mum to try some of the things that often work with adoptive mums. So ensuring that the baby sees lots of breastfeeding (in real life and in pictures, video on youtube etc) and perhaps working towards making bottle feeds slowly more like breastfeeding. These ideas are discussed in the ABA booklet on relactation and adoptive breastfeeding http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/catalogue/booklets/relactation-and-adoptive-breastfeeding (which includes a case of a mum who weaned her daughter at 9mo for IVF treatment, relactated after more than a year of not breastfeeding and then restarted actual breastfeeding) and it is also discussed a bit in my paper on adoptive breastfeeding http://www.internationalbreastfeedingjournal.com/content/1/1/5
> Toddlers are really good imitators and this mum can be optimistic about the possibility that her child may be persuaded to breastfeed.
> Karleen Gribble
> Australia
> 
> On 17/06/2013, at 2:29 PM, Leilani Wilde wrote:
> 
>> for a mom who is exclusively pumping 45oz a day and bottle feeds but desperately wants to breastfeed her 13 month old baby?She had tried over and over in the first few months of life but her baby fought her because of oversupply and fast letdown. When she tries to latch her baby now her baby bites her nipple and laughs. She has tried dream feeding but baby turns her head away. Mom is sad and would really like to succeed. This is her only child and won't be having any more. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
>> Thanks!
> 
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2