Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 13:34:21 EDT
Stephanie says,

> .  I can't believe that there is any nurse that would knowingly
> give the wrong information out. I have seen people that may not believe the
> information when it is presented as a lactation consultants opinion - again
> I think the trick to getting staff to support breastfeeding,  is to give
> them medically based information.  Don't give them one on the sheets that we
> would give a mother stating the benefits of breastfeeding - bring in a text
> book that has the information.

I think breastfeeding information is perceived by many as "breastfeeding a la
personal experience," and/or "this is the way I learned it, so this is the
way I will continue to teach it" EVEN after being presented with the FACTS
and EVIDENCE that what they are teaching is wrong.  Why?  Often because "this
is what worked for me."  All nurses?  Absolutely not!  Some nurses?
Absolutely!  All physicians?  NOOOO!  Some?  YESSSSS!  Occasionally I even
see the same thing in lactation consultants.  I've been an RN since mumble
mumble (Hector was a pup, at least) -- suffice it to say that it has been
many many years -- and I've been dealing with the same sort of things w/ RNs
(not all, some) and physicians (not all, some) since I started working in
Maternal-Child health in 1972.

Stephanie has had very positive experiences w/ nurses and teaching them.
That's wonderful.  I've had some positive and some negative experiences.  As
anyone in research will tell you, an "N" of one is nothing more than
personal, anecdotal experience.  My experiences with health professionals are
wide ranging (and not only in maternal child health either), and as I said --
positive and negative.  So I will not "tar all HCPs with the same brush,"
neither am I going to be quick to assume that if *I* am God's Gift to
Lactation Consulting in my way of speaking to others that they will all fall
down admitting the error of their ways and immediately change to embrace
Evidence Based Practice.  I'm too old and cynical to assume that *I* would
ever have that much power over ALL HCPs with whom I come in contact and
attempt to educate -- however brilliantly I do it.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com