From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:51:17 -0700
Cindy: I went to www.laleche.org and searched the Professional Information
section with "day care" because I knew that LLL had published the Day Care
Guidelines. I found it at the bottom of the list of uses of that term. Here
is the attached URL for that one item:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Release/daycare.html

Most of the other items were personal stories, probably published in New
Beginnings (magazine for moms) or in Leaven (magazine for Leaders). Some of
the topics may spark your interest.

I know that you NEVER feed part of a bottle of anything, then put the
remainder back in the 'fridge for use at the next feed. The main reason I
know of is backwash of saliva that works on digesting that remaining
milk/formula.

Regarding using a crock pot: that strikes me as the same as using a pot on
the stove as a heating water bath. You don't do it because it raises the
temp too high, too fast, and cooks the milk. ALWAYS use a water bath in a
bowl starting with cold water if the milk is frozen or tepid water if the
milk is cold but not frozen, then gradually increase the temp of the
dribbling water from the faucet. Don't let the water overwash the cap of
the bottle being warmed. I'll bet the day care workers say they "don't have
time" to wait for the milk to warm in a bowl (sound familiar anyone?) but
they can cause damage to the milk and/or injury to baby's mouth or throat.

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC