From:
Annie Versteeg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 18:25:01 EST
In a message dated 12/15/02 9:03:58 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< we really do have to be open minded

and sometimes be willing to admit that maybe there are other ways to be

right, and that these other ways don't cancel out our favorite ways to do

things. >>

Thank you Barbara.  Very well said and oh so true.  I too feel at times that
the comments get too advesarial.  The amount of energy it takes to keep this
discussion going could have calmed 100 babies!!!  Please, use it when it
helps, leave it out when it is not needed and continue to help parents and
babies have a peaceful start in life.  Isn't that the point of us being
Lactation Consultants?  Successful breastfeeding, happy families and
trusting, healthy babies?
AND, please, let's continue to share with each other the little tricks we
learn along the way.  I never know when the one thing I swore I would never
do could be the answer to the next issue I run into in the wonderful world of
breastfeeding.
Whenever I say "NEVER" I seem to be the next one at the table getting ready
to eat some crow.  Let us be fanatical about not being fanatical, let us see
each breastfeeding situation as unique and worthy of our time, energy and
caring.  Let us never forget what it felt like to hold our own newborns to
our hearts for the first time.
Annie VerSteeg