From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:01:22 -0700
"Myth - Babies need to be left on the breast for as long as they want to
suck or they will miss the important and superior hind milk .
Truth - Babies who suck on mother's breast for very long periods in the
early days and weeks are often failing to thrive and their mother's nipples
are usually cracked and bleeding."

Dr. Paula -- I don't know who you are, or what credentials you have.   While some of your information and advice is correct, good and valuable, other bits are incorrect.  Some of them are incorrect enough to be damaging to a nursing diad, and potentially damaging to a mother's milk supply, One such instance is that snippet quoted above.  I am hoping that this was an error by the printers and editors, as "truth" is really "myth", and vice versa.  If you really believe the above is correct as it stands, then:

I suggest very strongly that you take at least a five-day seminar on breastfeeding, there are many offered.  It does not take the place of many years' experience of teaching breastfeeding and staying current with the truths and myths, but it is an excellent start.

I also suggest, again, very strongly, that you pick up copies of several of the breastfeeding books on the market.  The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, and La Leche League's Breastfeeding Answer Book are two that immediately leap to mind, to check on such issues, in the future, before making statements.  There are also many more books available, both for the lay person or the professional.

I also suggest that you have one or more CLCs (that's certified lactation consultants) edit your information to separate fact from opinion or fiction.  CLC's are fairly easy to find -- if you don't know any yourself, you might contact a hospital in your area and see if they have LC's on staff, or have a list to which they refer their patients.   LCs might actually be listed in the phone book in your area, depending where you live.  Another option would be to contact ILCA, the association for lactation consultants in the US (if you want their communications addresses, I will be glad to provide them).

Finally, there is at least one e-mail network of LCs ranging from people with no medical background whatever  through all levels and branches of the medical profession.  It is an excellent resource, and one can become  very current on breastfeeding issues, very quickly.  It is called Lactnet.  You might be interested in subscribing to it.

Sincerely,

Chanita Stillerman
BSc,RN,IBCLC
and sometimes editor of books/articles on breastfeeding