Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:47:14 EST
Dear Pat:
    I haeve worked with several of these babies. They are outliers, tis true.
Outliers that didn't poop. They all nursed great,  gained weight, and pooped
once or twice a week, starting as soon as they cleared their meconium. I
called the mom every day or two, watched and waited. No reason to alarm a
mother if her baby is doing well.
     I have heard complaints from other LCs about this. One mentionaed
concern about Hirschsprung disease. I looked it up. Even if it was
Hirschsprungs, there wouldn't be a problem until the baby started solids.
    Just makes our jobs more difficult, trying to tell moms what to look for
when the ranges are so broad. That is why it is easier to teach healthy baby
behavior. That seems to be more consistent than numbers of poops.
Warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MSN, Mother of 2, IBCLC, ICCE, CSTP, CIMI
Elkins Park (a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,  northeastern USA)