From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:36:07 +0100
"a baby should get 2 1/2 times his body weight in ounces in 24 hours"
This was a quote from the original post.
I live in a country where pounds and ounces are as meaningful as Chinese
writing is to most of us.  We use the metric system.  Nowhere in the quote
is it made clear that it is the POUND weight of baby we are supposed to
multiply by 2.5 to get the number of OUNCES of food.  Since an ounce is one
sixteenth of a pound, which again is 45.4% of a kilo, it should be a cinch
for us to figure out how many ml the metrically weighed baby should be
getting in a day, right?

None of this takes into account the superior bioavailability of the
nutrients in breastmilk relative to formula, nor the variations in caloric
content of breastmilk which normally occur.  Watching the baby continues to
be my method of choice.

I can't bring myself to make the effort to do any of this calculating, for
the reasons given in my first post on this topic.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway
where babies who weigh about 3.5 will drink 120 at a shot.