From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:51:28 -0600
I saw this article.  The great thing about this study was - they didn't start pacifiers until 2 weeks of age, they gave a specific pacifier (one-piece, silicone) with directions on how to sterilize but they didn't restrict the mother from getting a different one.  I have never seen a pacifier study that took into account the type of pacifier.  I HAVE seen certain styles and shapes of pacifiers in my 23 years of practice that exacerbate breastfeeding issues.  To me, this is one of the pitfalls of "studies" that don't control for enough of the variables because they don't even recognize something as a variable!  I don't think this means we should just throw our hands up and say no use even trying, but it should be a cautionary tale!