From:
Heidi Chavers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:13:17 -0500
Our hospital provides couplet care for our families.
Each room has a little refrigerator.
We are trying to find out if anyone has written policies regarding the use
of these individual refrigerators in the patient's room to store breast
milk and if you would be willing to share them.

Other than checking the temperature of the refrigerator on a regular basis,
I would like to know how often the temperature must be recorded and what
temps are required?

Of course we provide proper identification labeling of the milk with
instructions to moms to record the date and time expressed as well as
guidelines for storage and use.

Pumping and storage of expressed colostrum/milk may be indicated for mom's whose babies is in the NBICU, have cleft palate, whimpy elevated bili babies, poor nursers or those who have not mastered a correct latch for some  reason. We are initiating pumping manual compression expression sooner rather than later so that babies can be given mom's expressed colosstrum/milk and to provide the stimulation to mom that the baby is not.

If you have any other aspects of this practice to share it would be
appreciated.

Many thanks,
Heidi Chavers RNC, IBCLC, LMT, LCCE