From:
James O'Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2006 16:08:11 -0400
Hi Jan,

This won't help you much but IMO Keflex is not a good drug for
teating mastisis...
Cephalexin is a often a second choice drug when Dicloxacillin has
failed in skin and soft tissue infections
but if Keflex doesn't penetrate the milk compartment well (and my
understanding is that it doesn't),
how can it treat mastitis which originates in the lumen?

So I would consider her 5th bout untreated and her first four bouts
under-treated in that the course was too short...10-14 days is the
norm not 7-10 days...
The mom can find products for cleaning that kill Staphylococcus
aureus and have her husband clean the house for her
  (acknowledgements to midwives who have the good sense to suggest
that term and new mothers should not be scrubbing toilets!)
Products like Purell can help avoid re-infection and making sure that
everybody in the household with a skin lesion that is slow to heal
gets treated too
might make a difference...

Jen O'Quinn IBCLC