From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 10:25:01 -0400
>Not feeling well yesterday, I left work early and I saw Rhonda on
>Oprah yesterday.
>Although I am most happy for her to have been rewarded for her
>achievements, her
>breastfeeding efforts were not part of it. This was a
>disappointment for me. Did anyone see the show?

I saw it and wasn't too pleased either.  The tributes to mothers were lovely
and I was touched with how overjoyed the women were to be recognized by
their families.  Rhonda was super...poised and elegant.  I am a fan of Oprah
for her tribute to motherhood as being the most important and difficult job,
BUT...did she have to say the word "breastfeeding" like she had a sour taste
in her mouth?  She did this twice and I thought she accentuated the word so
heavily that it made me cringe.

Someone suggested on another list that the women were being honored for
their mothering accomplishments, not their paid or volunteer employment.
So, while I would have liked Rhonda's connections to LLL to be mentioned, I
understand why they were not.  I just wish Oprah had said "breastfeeding"
without the sneer in her voice...

Kathy

Kathy Koch, BSEd, IBCLC
Great Mills, MD
mailto:[log in to unmask]
"Parents are often so busy with the physical rearing of children that they
miss the glory of parenthood, just as the grandeur of the trees is lost when
raking leaves. ~Marcelene Cox ~