From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 14:59:00 GMT
Hi all
Yes, there is a connection between massaging an infant's palm and encouraging
feeding. There is a 'primitive' reflex called the snouting reflex which means
that firm pressure on the palm (I usually use across palm from thumb to little
finger) will cause a snouting or rooting type facial movement. I've seen it in
young infants (it disappears with time, like the tongue thrust and other reflexes)
and also in adults after strokes, when brain damage causes a recurrence of
these reflexes. I'm not sure what the effect of gently stroking over the anterior
fontanelle is, but it seems to encourage babies to suck.

Hope this helps

Fiona Coombes
Doctor and LC
Perth Western Australia