Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 07:57:17 EDT

<< Does anyone have any info on whether taking St. John's Wort is harmful
during
 breastfeeding?  I really have no clue where to find this info. >>

While I'm quite sure our erudite physicians & pharmacists will respond, I have
my nickel's worth to add too.

The German Commission E (sort of like the German FDA) has said it is OK with
pregnancy & lactation (my dh just attended a 6 day seminar on herbal medicines
which was actually very good -- I went for 1/2 day).  However, one of the
problems with any herbals in the US is because they are unregulated, you don't
know exactly what you are getting in the bottle.  What it may be labeled may
not be what you are getting.  Just because it SAYS on the bottle that there is
x number of mg of hypercium (the active ingredient) doesn't mean that there
is.  It could be cellulose for all we know....

So, you have to get the stuff from a really reputable company, and if someone
can tell me how to figure out which is a reputable company without naming
names, (or by e-mailing me privately), I'd love to know that.

I got two calls yesterday from moms asking about St. John's Wort.  While I
suspect it is OK, I'm just not sure that the moms are getting what they pay
for, and I would wonder about the quality of the drug....

Jan B -- in Wheaton, where it is supposed to be in the 70's on Easter Sunday
-- but only 47 today???