From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2006 17:54:40 EST
In the many conferences I have had the privilege to attend, there have been
many speakers who have addressed this topic ( Glover, Smiley, and  Wiessenger).
They all have made me re-look and rethink about positioning and  latches.
What is the most important observation is that each baby and than  mother needs
to find what works for them.  As babies get bigger and older,  adjustments are
made.
I try the standard recommendations to mothers but if I observe them looking
very tense or uncomfortable, than this is not a good option and have them try
a  different approach.  Also, if a baby is unhappy with what should be a
perfectly good position than they have their reasons and we have to believe  them,
not push them, and give them a break.
Lately, I have been allowing the newborn (in the first 24 hours) to  just
lick and mouth mom's nipples while she hand expresses her colostrum.   Allowing
the babies to find their comfort and readiness to latch has brought  good
outcomes for all.
I can't remember who wrote the post on this topic that we need to be very
flexible in our approach and understanding of our fellow LCs, but this statement
 is so very true.
The only think I tell parents is not to push the baby's head into the
breast.  They have to allow the baby some head extension when coming to the  breast.
Let's all learn from each other and know that the perfect position and  latch
is based on the dyad and not our books.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA