Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 16:55:22 EDT
The study that Janice mentioned regarding palm oil in infant formulas that
was published in the May issue of Pediatrics was funded by Ross, who just
happens to make formula without palm olein oil. Ross has been hyping this in
their ads for some time. This just reinforces my curiosity about the added
DHA/ARA and when we will see rival formula companies conduct a "study" that
shows these additives interfere with absorption of fat soluble vitamins or
some such thing. Why does it take competing companies to find out that infant
formula is hazardous to the health of babies. Shouldn't our regulatory health
agencies be tracking such detrimental outcomes? Interesting how this formula
made it to the marketplace and has suddenly been found to contribute to lower
calcium absorption representing a hazard to optimal bone health. Looks like a
ploy to increase market share on Ross' part, probably to offset their slower
start on raking in the money from the fatty acid additives! This just makes
me want to work all the harder on helping mothers and babies breastfeed. It's
getting too scary not to.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA