From:
Kathy Parkes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:00:14 EDT
Picking the brains of the learned...
In a prenatal consult yesterday, I met with a young woman who had a breast
reduction done by "suction assisted lipectomy" (basically, liposuction
according to the client and my research) with a sharp shaver canula.  550
grams was removed from one breast, 779 grams from the other.  She had before
and after photos, which made by blood boil.  Within 6 weeks of this
procedure, she began experiencing large indentations at various locations on
the breasts, especially the right.  Not small pucker-like areas, but
fist-sized indentations.  And now, 15 mos. post-procedure, her breasts are
grossly deformed.  She is experiencing, though, breast growth, tenderness,
and color changes during this pregnancy which makes me hopeful for her milk
supply.

I read through Diana West's info in "Defining Your Own Success", which
suggests that liposuction for reduction is "fairly attractive in that it
leaves minimal scarring and nerve damage."  From what I assessed, that was
definitely NOT the case for this young lady.  We'll be working together to
assess adequate milk production and delivery to the infant after his birth.

My question is:  have any of you worked with mothers who've had reduction via
liposuction, or to the nurses and physicians on Lactnet, have you witnessed
this procedure and is it as rough & damaging as abdominal liposuction (which
I have seen)?

Kathy Parkes, RN, IBCLC
The Lactation Connection Inc.
San Antonio, TX