From:
Anne Hinze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:50:06 -0400
Hi there, I'm posting this for the LC I'm training under... any ideas, suggestions
are most welcome.

This mom is expecting her 10th (yes 10th) child sometime this month. She is
41 years old and her oldest child is 21 years.

After the birth of her sixth baby she had her thyroid removed. She is currently
taking synthroid, although I'm not sure of the exact dose. I can find out if
that information is helpful.

Babies 7, 8 and 9 all had insufficient weight gain. Mom supplemented ABM with
2 of the three. She starts solids at 4 months and stops supplementing with
ABM at that time. After solids are introduced, the babies no longer have
insufficient weight gain.

She contacted the hospital LC by phone for #9 when her pediatrician
suggested stopping supplementation cold turkey. Mom was concerned about
negative effects this could have on the baby's weight gain. LC suggested
weaning off the ABM...

She is currently pregnant with #10 and came to see the LC to develop a plan,
hoping to not have to supplement with this child. The LC believes that
supplementation was required sometime after 2 weeks of age in the babies.

So other than increasing mom's fat intake in the hopes it would bolster the fat
content of her own milk, are there any other suggestions? Mom reports that
there is a good cream layer on her milk when she pumps...

LC is interested in getting the mom's milk analyzed for fat content, but is
unsure if the military hospital lab where she works would be able to perform a
creamatocrit. She is going to look into possibly purchasing the new
creamatocrit tool available through Medela. Do any of you have experience
with this tool and know of it's limitations in this type of situation? Are there
any outside labs that could perform the correct analysis of the mom's milk in
the hopes it would provide answers as to why her milk is not rich enough to
allow the babies to gain weight? Would there be a benefit to using something
such as the prolacta human milk fortifier for preemies vs. ABM to add fat and
calories to EBM? I'm not sure if it would be cost prohibitive, though (i'm sure
it's extremely expensive).

I forgot to add that her supply is not the issue. She has an abundant supply.
She also has a history of gestational diabetes, does not require insulin
(regulated with diet) and it has resolved at birth each time.

Are there any other things that might cause her babies to have poor weight
gain that we haven't thought of?

Do any of you have suggestions for other ways to help this next baby gain
weight without supplementation of ABM?

many thanks!

Anne Hinze