From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:56:47 -0400
>There is a need to change the assumption that pumping/
>breastfeeding in the workplace is going to be a problem.
>Perhaps we women need to stop asking permission from our
>employers to do what is best for us, for our babies, for
>our families, and follow our hearts.  Employers, in their
>turn, need to abandon the assumption that infants will be
>AIM-fed.

Several years ago, I did my dissertation research on
breastfeeding and the workplace. Among the people I interviewed
were a number of women who had no lactation support in place in
the workplace. Yet they had breastfed successfully while working.
What I found was that these women were very creative in working
things out with whoever they needed to work it out with. They were
also, righfully, very proud of their roles as groundbreakers and
educators. They took great pride in educating their bosses and
colleagues and in paving the way for others who came after them.
There were any number of women in their workplaces who said they
had never considered nursing and working until they saw these women
do it and succeed.
When we treat breastfeeding as normal, people around us are educated
and inspired.

Naomi Bar-Yam