From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:04:25 -0500
So here's my question. Zoo keepers know that Moms and babies need a
few DAYS to bond before attempting an examination of the baby. How
come providers for humans haven't figured that out yet? We can't even
give the dyad a few hours.

Naomi Bar-Yam

> Zoo's orang getting hang of motherhood
> Barbara Yost
> The Arizona Republic
> Feb. 6, 2006 12:00 AM
>
> Get over it, Britney. There's a new celebrity baby in the spotlight.
>
> This one weighs about 3 pounds and has red hair all over, except
> for her belly. Mom is beaming.
>
> We're talking about Bess, the Phoenix Zoo's 26-year-old female
> Bornean orangutan who gave birth to her first infant Jan. 27. Bess
> immediately began cuddling the baby, a good sign that her maternal
> instincts are in high gear.
> "She's being a phenomenal mom," said Bess' keeper Denise Wagner.
>
> The sex of the baby has not yet been determined. Wagner believes
> it's a girl.

>> Keepers are allowing mother and child to bond for a few days
>> before they attempt an examination.

Naomi Bar-Yam Ph.D.
617-964-6676

Researcher, Writer, Educator