Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:50:11 -0700
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Pat Young wrote:

> The only problem is that until the bath, staff must use gloves to handle
> the baby in any way.

We were told of this protocol when my grandson was born.  We said we would
want the staff to wear gloves anytime they touched him even after he had a
bath.  He got a nice amniotic fluid shower when he was born, though.

He never had a bath in the hospital.  I washed his face and bottom, but he
never had a "real bath" until he was home... and that was a sponge bath
beside my daughter's kitchen sink.

I wish we could get away from the idea that babies are dirty when they're
born.  As long as you wipe the blood and poop off them, they're fine for a
few days... and they smell like a real baby instead of Johnson & Johnson
or Baby Magic.

Cee