From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 07:52:55 -0400
Under the e-mail coaching of Esther Grunis, I prepared for a breakfast TV
appearance in Oslo (not my home town) this winter.  One of the essential
items to have along was a doll for showing positioning and attachment. I use
a left-behind teddy bear at work but it is needed there every day so I
couldn't take it.  I phoned an Oslo colleague to hear whether she had a
Lactessa I could borrow, and she didn't, but she gave me excellent advice:
use something with a long neck so it can tip its head way back.  The best I
could come up with from home was my own Steiff Jocko-the-monkey hand puppet,
and I took it along, planning to check the shops at the Oslo airport when I
got there.  It was evening when we arrived, and the appearance was 7 am the
next day, and Norway does not have any all-night toy shops.  The bookshop in
the arrivals hall had three stuffed toys/dolls.  The one with the longest
neck was a turtle, and I bought it. It is green with big eyes that have a
very appealing expression, so by the time of the broadcast I was actually
longing to feed it.  Worked great and boy did it surprise the hosts of the
show when I pulled it out of the bag.  Almost surprised me too, actually.

So, to me the Elmo doll sounds like a brilliant suggestion.  A familiar
figure that will make people laugh or at least smile, will increase the
likelihood of their remembering the rest of the message too.  Lactessa
doesn't make me want to pick her up and love her and you need something that
arouses the caregiving instinct in the group you are addressing.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway