From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 03:13:13 -0700
We just had our 13th La Leche League meeting in my town thanks to a great
Leader who moved in last year.  It was on 9/11 that she courageously went
"on with the meeting" despite the terrible news...and 3 moms came and
received support for breastfeeding, mothering and dealing with this
horrible event.

Yesterday we had a meeting and it really opened my eyes as to the stress
that many are STILL feeling...even on this coast.  We opened the meeting
with a Round Robin which usually lasts 10 - 15 minutes...you know, name,
baby's name, when you're due, and then Linda asked "how has 9/11 and/or La
Leche League changed you"...We had 10 moms and 10 children (ages 2 weeks to
8 years).

An hour an a half later we were still talking about these stresses they
were feeling and what has changed for them.  We had 3 moms who are military
dependents - but they were the last to speak (and spoke strongly about how
much more supported they felt- but how stressful it was to still have such
low income they qualified for WIC). This does not mean we didn't have
breastfeeding issues to deal with - everything from Reflux, Prozac use,
cavities being blamed on breastfeeding, etc...

Just "fair warning" that even though the moms we are seeing are very
centered on their breastfeeding and busy with their families - the emotions
and effects of this tragedy are still there - and you may need to be the
safe place for them to discuss and help them deal with them.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
NEW e-mail address: [log in to unmask]