From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 2011 08:51:42 -0500
Thanks to Gonneke for pointing out that we are always balancing risks.  There is never such a thing as completely safe.  When balancing a slight unknown risk versus a clearcut known risk, I'd say the clearcut known risk is the one to avoid.  And I always explain this to parents.  And this is the appropriate context in which to discuss a few drinks versus formula or smoking and breastfeeding or any number of areas where it MIGHT be better if the mother didn't but formula feeding is still worse.  There are many varied ways that mothers can minimize alcohol exposure in their infants without using formula as others have pointed out.

Great messages to wake up to on the morning of Christmas Eve before I run to my Christmas crisis group.  All the moms who can't find someone to see them during the holidays are coming to my husband's office this morning in a staggered group setting.  I can only really fit three into his office so they're all arriving at different times so I can handle it.

Best wishes for the many varied winter holidays that are celebrated this time of year.

Best regards,

Susan Burger