From:
"David A. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 19:49:15 EST
In a message dated 12/21/98 2:11:37 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< And this doctor has been around for a while--about 8 years.  Surely in that
 time he could have educated himself on, at least, the basics of normal
 breastfeeding. I can't excuse him by saying that infant feeding just
 doesn't peak his interest. >>

As a general pediatrician, I spend a lot of time, did I mention A LOT, talking
to parents about infant feeding.  To me, being a pediatrician and not having
your interest peaked by infant feeding is somewhat of an oxymoron.  I can't
"excuse" him either.  You mentioned that the baby had lost ONLY 5% of his/her
birth weight.  I believe that a 10% loss is the "benchmark" we use to start
worrying.
OBTW, just finished reading an article in the Jan. '99 issue of American Baby,
"Secrets to Breastfeeding Survival" by Sarah Crow.  How come all the quotes
about breastfeeding come from LC's; whereas, all the quotes about bottle +
breast come from doctors?  <g>
Andrew MD