From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:26:23 +0100
>My question for the masses: If you receive journals JAMA, Lancet, etc.,
that
have breastfeeding articles that you want to keep, do  you keep the whole
journal or just tear out the pages you need?<

Gail, this is an interesting one.  I tend to keep the journal, which has
drawbacks (hard to file, etc.).  But I find when I have access to journals
in the library for copying myself, rather than relying on others to hand on
copies, I photocopy MORE than the article.  There are some journals,
midwifery ones, but most notoriously ones for health visitors here in the
UK, which consistently have an article abot infant feeding, or
breastfeeding, and on page three of the sequence, in between page two and
three of the article, is a huge advert for bottles, teats, special medical
formulas or a non-human milk formulation.  I like to copy these as well, as
they form part of the 'strata' of how these articles reach their audience.
Similarly, if I copy JHL articles about expressing I usually copy the pump
advertisements which are in the same journal.

There is one 'professional' journal which is really bad -- articles written
by company personnel accompanied by ads on opposite pages -- not just about
infant feeding, but everything.  It is one which is cheap to subscribe to,
as well.

In magazines for mothers here in the UK the advertisements often sit next to
the articles, too.

I believe that this association is important, but hard to document when you
get reprints from journals without seein gthe whole thing.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK