From:
Bonny Nothern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 1997 14:30:34 -0500
Dear Pat Gima,

Probably craniosacral treatments have been described thoroughly on LACTNET
in the past so I will do an archive search. But could you describe how the
CS therapy differs from some of the physical therapy treatments we've heard
about?

 Here in the Boston area, we had a wonderful conference sponsored by
Lactation Associates (Marsha Walker) a couple of years ago, given by a pt
whose last name is Schiavone. I was very interested to hear her
descriptions of postural exercises that affect feeding behaviors.
Apparently many of the techniques come directly from work with special
needs children who may have neurological difficulties. I'll have to dig out
my notes for more details but I do remember her mentioning a prone position
with little knees tucked up under the body and the chest elevated.

Some of the nurses present were dissatisfied with the presentation since
many of the techniques mentioned are outside the kind of activities they
are allowed to do with babies in postpartum nurseries. Those of us in
private practice may have a little more latitude in teaching mothers gentle
postural therapies to improve clamping/biting behaviors. It is frustrating
to everybody involved when we have to say that there are maturity issues
involved but can't say how long it may take before the difficulties
resolve. Having techniques from PT that may help speed up the process seems
to offer a bit of relief from that frustration.

I also get tired of telling moms that the interventions during labor and
delivery are possibly to blame for problematic infant behavior. I hate
feeling like a broken record.

As I say, I will do an archive search on craniosacral therapy but would
love to hear your comments about how it relates to PT.

Thank you.

Bonny Nothern, BS, IBCLC

--------
Attachment