From:
Holly Prescott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2019 08:50:50 -0500
Had hoped to have more informative f/u on my client with gelatinous milk but...

I had been unable to reach her after recommending she ask her OB to have milk tested.  Figured either she was in the hospital getting treated or had decided to quit!  Sorry to report that her OB told her there was no need to test her milk since she had "no symptoms of mastitis" AND told her to stop breastfeeding and pumping!  By the time she called me back, it had been 3 days since she had pumped.  I was flabbergasted at the physician's advice AND this is a currently breastfeeding/pumping OB! Client reported that the OB had talked to her partners and a surgeon, none of whom had seen milk like hers.  She was given no answers and no further attempt to find any!  I have to admit, I found an empty room and shed some tears of sadness for the mom, anger for the OB and frustration for myself!  This OB does not practice at our hospital or I would have spoken directly to them!

Another LC colleague recommended this mom at least ask for a breast ultrasound (also a suggestion from one of our hospital OBs).  I have strongly recommended this mom ask for further evaluation by her physician.  Mom agreed as she plans to have more children and wants to know if this might show up again.  Have not heard anything further.

Finally, the mom asked what I recommended as far as breastfeeding.  I know she detected my frustration with her physician's recommendations. Of course, I told her she should continue giving her baby as much of her BM as she was able until there was proof of something harmful! For a mom who calls her little one "my miracle baby" (required IVF), I grieve that, on unsubstantiated medical advice, she will not give be giving that little one her best nutrition!

Maybe it's time for a vacation.

Thanks, again, for all of your input. I love learning from LACTNET!

Holly Prescott RN BSN IBCLC
Southeast USA

P.S.  Any suggestions on how to share the video of the milk (no identifying information) for future educational purposes?