From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:41:11 -0500
Celine
We have had some discussions about this dilemma before on lactnet. There are
opposing views on the subject. There are those that totally "practice" baby
led attachment and there are those that are more hands on. Some folks feel
that if you latch the baby for mom that mom might not be able to do it by
herself, and also it is too pushy and forceful. Then there are those who
feel that if mom isn't getting it, she often gives up, and if you could just
get the baby to latch, then mom would get a boost of confidence, and baby
will get some experience, and it'll often be easier next time.
Now remember, no one can really latch the baby. The baby latches him or
herself. But the mother does assist quite a bit, in my opinion, by good
positioning and support of the baby and, usually, her breast. I really
question baby led latching, that it is totally baby led, unless mom is
unconscious or asleep. A baby could latch in this scenario, if placed near
mom and if he's a healthy vigorous infant. However, the videos I've seen of
baby led latching, do show the mother helping quite a bit, in my opinion. So
what is so wrong with that? What is wrong with an experienced person lending
a hand?
I am a more hands on person. I've tried it many ways. More times I have seen
mothers just go right to the bottle, if baby does not latch at the first
try. I think in different cultures, or with different levels of commitment
of the mom,  baby led attachment can work. This is the ideal. I think a
homebirthed baby or a baby from a non-drugged mother would latch much more
easily, and if the birth setting "allows" mother and baby to stay together
24/7 and latch at baby's own time frame, and not be worried about baby's 45
blood sugar. You are in a hospital setting, as I am, and I see virtually no
drug-free babies, and much mother/baby separation. In fact, most of our
births are inductions and about a third are premature. Maybe that's why I,
like you, see mother's struggling, and in the most uncomfortable positions,
where the baby just can't latch even though he is trying. It is nice and
best to talk the mom through, but I really don't see any harm, and haven't
had any negative consequences from putting my hands in there and showing
mom. Do so with permission and not in pushy way, but in my experience,
mothers are grateful.
Best regards,
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
MISSISSIPPI USA