Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 01:52:27 -0400
<<  with home births I would say it is
 fairly uncommon for these babies to lose much if any weight
after birth,. I
 have never been sure whether this is due to fewer interventions;
pit, IV
 fluids etc. or to the fact that mom and baby are never
separated. Of course
 weight checks aren't as frequent. >>

Even my  36 week, 5 1/2 lb hospital birthed baby didn't lose
weight - but I
didn't have pit, IV, or separation.  He (and my homebirthed
daughter) were
weighed frequently in the first few days so I know it wasn't just
rapid
recovered weight.

My 39 wk 9#9oz hospital birthed, with pitocin, IV, 3 hour
separation after about an hour together, Cervidil, and (some
narcotic that I can't think of the name of), daughter weighed
10#6oz at 10 days of age.  We also had some problems with latch
that took over a month to fix, but she still managed to gain just
fine.