From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:13:16 -0400
Dear all:

I have realized I now have to up my skills in detecting people asking for money or time in
ways that are not truly representing what I am being asked to do.

Of course, when someone manages to get past the phone blocks we have for unsolicited
advertisement, I've managed to shorten the amount of phone time it takes to detect
whether or not it is a scam by asking for a donation is to ask if they will send it in the
mail.  The instant I get the "well, this deal is only over the phone...." I know that I can
politely end the conversation.

I never realized I would have to apply new strategies for a new phenomenon --- the
solicitation to participate in focus groups.  I got a call from about lactation consultants
participating in focus group discussions.  Immediately, I asked for the name of the person
and the spelling of her name.  Then she asked me if I knew anything about focus groups
and I told her that I had worked with social marketing programs in developing countries
which used focus groups.  Then I asked her "Who is sponsoring the research?"  I'm glad I
asked that question, because I immediately got the sputtering defensive, "Well, I'm not
allowed to say".  Any research that has passed through a human ethics committee will
not allow this type of secrecy.  Informed consent requires that you know the general gist
of the research (without being leading as to the potential results that are being
hypothesized) and who is conducting the research.  I politely declined to participate.

It dawned on me that many corporations are conducting research in a way that violates
the basic human ethics principals that were drummed into me in graduate school about
how to conduct research in an ethical manner.

Best, Susan Burger