Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:40:46 -0800
I would agree that teeth are not NECESSARILY and indicator of readiness, and
are most likely not an indicator in MOST kids, BUT I did find that in one of
my 2 children, the 2 co-incided and I do not personally think it was
coincidental...though it could have been.  My first child, I offered solids
to her starting at 6 mos, but she gagged on anything that made it past her
lips.  I never saw lumps in her diaper either.  When I say I offered solids,
my way of doing things was to give actual *solid*, if soft, food...cooked
squash, yam, carrot, potato, raw ripe banana, avocado, etc., but not MUSHED
up...actually solid chunks she would have to bite off and chew with her
gums.  Also, *I* did not feed her; she had to get the food to her mouth and
get it in if she wanted it (people called me a cruel mother...I just figured
if she couldn't do that she wasn't ready ;-)).  She was fully 8.5 mos the
first time she ever took something into her mouth, chewed, swallowed, did
not gag, and I saw it end up in her diaper (and for the record, it was a
piece of cooked broccoli that she wanted first of all, and to this day she
still loves broccoli!).  It was the very same week she got her first tooth.
I totally understand the idea that a 3 mos old who has cut teeth won't be
ready for a few more months, and a child who doesn't cut a first tooth until
12 mos may well be ready long before that.  BUT I do think there could be
some cases, like my first, where the 2 co-incide, and perhaps for good
reason in her case, who knows.  :-)  Like I said, my solid foods were not
puréed or mushed, just soft foods.  And this phenomenon did not stand true
for my 2nd child who WAS ready at 6 mos, who chowed down everything I gave
her at that point in time, and did not get her first tooth until 7.5 mos.
However...after about a month of eating everything I gave her, she slowed
down DRASTICALLY at 7 mos and basically lost interest...as if to say "been
there, done that, it's not quite as fun as I thought it would be".  After
that point, she followed a similar schedule to my first, who was eating
about 1 tsp a day around 8.5-9 mos when she finally started, 1 tbsp a day or
so by about 10 mos, and 1-2 tbsp per meal by around 15 mos.  I..e very small
amounts compared to what a lot of people figure babies should be eating in
terms of those huge baby food jars.  ;-)

Fio

--
"Wind is like love. Sometimes it'll come on so fast, and hard, that it will
blow you away. But at others, it will be a soft, gentle breeze just there to

http://babystrology.com/tickers/baby-ticker-glass.swf?parent=Fio&year=2008&month=8&day=20&babycount=1
http://www.rabais-coupons.com pour des coupons virtuels