Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 2009 22:43:13 -0400
I know that we really shouldn't brag, but pardon my boast,
Last night my daughter delivered her twins by CS. It had been a difficult pregnancy but she was a real jewel enduring some really awful pain. But she
was delivered Friday rather than this coming Monday.  I was at work and I really need to applaud my coworkers who came to my support and covered me during one wild day in our unit. I managed to get to the delivery and see the joy like no other that enveloped my daughter and her husband but all the people in our OB department at South Miami Hospital as one of our own brought new life into the world.
Our loving neo for our Postpartum unit stayed to oversee the delivery since we knew the little boy had 2 vessels in his cord, He surprised everyone and voided 3 times while in OR. Both he and his sister didn't do a real skin to skin but with Meme overseeing it we did cheek to chest in a really frigid OR. The big joke was on initial evaluation our neo shouted out very loudly, She has a really tight frenulum and so does He!  Which everyone laughed since they know I really check those things out and tell pedis' to follow up...but I also reminded them I had already seen they were posterior and tongues were busily extending across a ridge line and they were very busily sucking fingers and their mother had a wonderfully long tongue which as a family joke she can touch her nose with...
It was mayham in an already very busy admitting nursery where we had a near call with a low BS and then an extremely long transition nursery stay due to Mommy having some issues in PACU.
When they came to room almost 7 hrs after delivery they went to breast and though Mommy wanted to do only one at a time my new granddaughter was cuing while her little brother took his time. Once my son in law and I convinced my daughter to tandem nurse we were off to the races. This morning they were all breastfeeding well and Mommy was up and about and though we are seeing some jaundice due to ABO we are seeing eager feeding and getting stronger each time.
The women who I work with are amazed. No formula, a Mommy and Daddy who are eagerly welcoming each feeding and cheering these little darlings to feed more and more.
I reminded them that these babies have had cheering and lectures in utero not only from me their LC grandmother but their Nana who was a LeLeche Leader for many years.
Hoping that the transcutaneous bilis will be okay and we all go home on Monday.
Leanne Jewell RN-BC, IBCLC, LCCE,FACCE
South Miami, Florida