From:
Chris Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 18:06:20 EDT
Susan,
I think you're referring to Neo-Mull-Soy and Cho-free, which Maureen Minchin
discusses in detail in "Breastfeeding Matters," pp 15 and 229 of the 1998
edition.  Early formulas contained too much salt, and in a reaction to the
realization that this was so, one company (Syntex) produced two formulas in
1978-9 containing no chloride at all.  The babies who got these formulas
developed metabolic alkalosis and some ended up with cerebral palsy,
developmental delays, convulsions, kidney problems, and mental retardation.
In reaction to publicity generated by two of the families whose babies were
damaged, the US Congress held hearings on infant formula and set standards in
the Infant Formula Act of 1980.  However, Maureen goes on to point out that
1980 was the year Reagan was elected, and she casts considerable doubt on the
effectiveness of the follow-up and enforcement of this law that his
administration provided.

This makes me glad all over again that I knew about breastfeeding, so that my
son, who was born in 1978, was 100% breastfed.

Chris Mulford, RN, IBCLC
Swarthmore  PA

It's quite fascinating reading.